Alex: the 9 Drawer Unit

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Racher Interior Design, painted furniture

Ta Da my weekend project Alex.  I bought 2 quarts of paint, Benjamin Moore 2048-50 Tropicana Cabana and 2146-10 Dark Celery, 9 label holders from Lee Valley, and new sanding disks for my power sander.

Racher Interior Design, painted furniture before

I didn't realize how bad my filing cabinet looked before, now that my drawers are beautified I think my filing cabinet needs replacing.

refinished furniture, Racher Interior Design

The weather was beautiful, but I choose to refinish my Alex in the living room.  I started with drilling the holes for the new hardware, measure twice drill once (break your 2 smallest drill bits).

Racher Interior Design, refinished furniture

I drilled the holes first so I could clean up the evidence without marring my new paint job.  I sanded the smooth shiny finish on the drawer fronts.  Then I used painters tape to trim the drawers.  As you can see I didn’t take the drawers out of the unit.  It’s from Ikea and requires disassembly to remove the drawers.  As convenient as it is to put Ikeas furniture together, it is not meant to be taken apart, so I didn’t.

Racher Interior Design, painted furniture

I mixed the green paint and the blue paint I bought, with white paint left over from another project, to create an ombre effect.  Putting my mixtures in little containers I pulled out of the recycling.  I sealed them in ziplock bags between coats of paint.

painted furniture, Racher Interior Design

To finish the project I lightly sanded the drawers to give them a weathered look and attached the label holders.

Racher Interior Design, painted furniture